If you do ANYTHING in Budapest, Hungary–you MUST block out an entire afternoon to go to the Széchenyi Thermal Baths! Look how gigantic it is–with 18 outdoor & indoor pools!
It’s family-friendly, girls’ or guys’ trip friendly, bachelor/bachelorette destination, & a romantic adventure for the couples out there!
I LOVED it. I spent a good 6 hours there! I started with a massage, grabbed a delicious Hungarian meal inside of the spa, AND shared some piping hot mulled wine and a Piña colada at the bar RIGHT by the outdoor thermal bath. I was so excited I just stayed in the outdoor pool! It does not matter what time of year you go! I went in one of the coldest months in Budapest: February, and still enjoyed myself with restorative waters heated from 81-100°F.
TIPS: Know Before You Go!
- Yes, you can spend the WHOLE day there! They have cheap, yet delicious, warm Hungarian food and fountain drinks right inside the spa; and a bar with delicious cocktails, hot wine and beer!
- You can rent towels and bathrobes at the spa.
- They have free plastic bag dispensers for your wet clothes.
- Bring sandals, and cover up all the goodies in your swimwear! No nudity here!
- They have public blow dryers on the walls.
- It is ONLY 17€ to enter the spa! You have to buy everything else separately.
- It was ONLY 130€ ($160) TOTAL for my fiancé and I for a 60-min couple’s massage, VIP entrance to the spa, 2 cabins and all-day use of the baths.
- You can rent a little cabin (pictured below), to change and to hang your clothes and hold all of your stuff. It opens with the wristband they give you–super secure!
- A lot of the employees speak English!
I bought my ticket through Trip Advisor online, I as met inside by someone to guide me to the massage wing. It’s so gigantic, there’s no way I would have found it on my own.
It’s super easy! Right on Metro Line 1, the yellow line, there is a stop called “Széchenyi Fürdõ”. The metro stop drops you off right there–just a couple steps away! Or you can take a taxi, I always prefer the cheaper route. 🙂
Heads up–It didn’t seem very parking friendly. I’d leave the rental!