Budapest is hands down one of my favorite European countries! My hotel was comfortable and lovely. The food was so delicious and diverse! The Nightlife was sooo cool; I shook off my partying cobwebs and actually went out at night! I’m 28–and my bedtime is normally 10-11pm… The Széchenyi Spa with its magical mineral healing waters is unlike any spa you’ve been to before! People of all colors, hairstyles, countries and ages were enjoying the sights, sounds and tastes of Budapest everywhere I went. If I had to choose a couple things you HAVE to do if you only have 3-7 days in Budapest, here is my non-exhaustive list:
1. Take a Cruise on the Danube River!
This is a MUST! The Danube River is quite gorgeous and you can catch a unique glimpse of Buda and Pest, the Buda castle and the Parliament building. There is live Hungarian music, a dance floor, fancy decor and tables, wine, champagne, cocktails, beer and a huge Hungarian buffet complete with various salads, soups, warm entrees and desserts!
2. Spend half a day enjoying the healing waters at the Széchenyi Spa!3. Grab a drink at a Ruin Bar!
Seriously, nightlife in Budapest is unlike any other country! People drink and party until 4am in bars constructed inside of ruined buildings. It’s as unique as their craft beers and cocktails. You HAVE to see it for yourself! My favorite ruin bar is Szimpla Kert–the #1 ruin bar in Budapest!
4. Go souvenir shopping & eat at the Great Market Hall!There is SO much to do inside the Great Market Hall! You can purchase the essential staple to Hungarian food, Hungarian paprika; you can dine on traditional Hungarian foods like Lángos and Gulyás, purchase the most beautiful souvenirs (for a good price too!); you can buy fresh fruits and vegetables, and etc… 5. Take selfies at the impressive Parliament building!6. Enjoy a burger at Meatology Restaurant…
7. Spend a couple hours enjoying the views from Fisherman’s Bastion…
The views are incredible! Who wouldn’t want to marvel at such a site! You can also enjoy some hot wine in the restaurant nearby and grab some lunch. There’s a Starbucks to satisfy your caffeinated dreams–and you can check out the Matthias church as well.
8. Walk from Buda to Pest (or vice versa) across the Chain Bridge!
The Chain Bridge connects Buda and Pest. It’s a great experience to walk along the Chain Bridge. Legend tells that the great stone lions that guard the entrance protected this19th century bridge from destruction throughout history. Consider it time travel! It’s so romantic too for a handheld stroll in the evening…
9. Take a moment to count your blessings at St. Stephen’s Basilica…
This basilica is recognizable for it’s beauty and grandeur and walking distance from Andrassy street.
10. Walk along the famous high-end Andrassy street..
You’ll find a lot of sweet treats along the way, ruin bars in its corners, dog-friendly shops, high-end fashion stores, and enough delicious and affordable foods to keep you full and happy!